Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Truth about Gender and Sexuality

This was a very good panel that we had yesterday. I felt like I learned a lot as a result of this. I always consider myself someone that supports equal rights but really did not know how gay and homosexuals react to certain things. This helped me better understand it. I got to have questions answered that I would usually not feel comfortable asking in a normal class setting or any setting for that matter. I did not ask any questions as the ones that I thought of. As I really did not even know what to ask other than the ones that they had. I am very positive that as I go through the rest of the semester and the rest of this year, even my whole life, more and more questions will keep popping into my head that I will need to find the answer for. But answering the question by getting one person's view or answer, is not necessarily the only right answer. Everyone has their own views and their own opinions on everything. Whether it’s sports, the economy or gay rights, there is going to be a a little bit of a difference with everyones opinion on something.

I realize that some thing I have said could be offensive to people. Even when I am not trying to offend anyone. I think that is a part of life though, you have to get better at that because no one is perfect, there is no such thing as the perfect human being. Not in the eyes of God, the people, the government might think that there is, the world might too, and the people living on it might as well. But the reality of the matter is that there is no such thing as the perfect person. We all have our flaws. We need to accept this about ourselves and have a mindset to change that or else our society will not go further and improve. We also need to accept that everyone else has their own issues and problems. So when we feel offended by something, we need to keep calm and realize, everyone has their own views.

This being said, I enjoyed the discussion that we had, it was very eye opening and it was interesting. I will take what I learned in this conversation with these individuals throughout my entire life as it was a very good experience for me. Whenever I get into a conversation on gay rights or anything for that matter, I will think back to the discussions that we had with these gentlemen and the women that we talked to about being a woman in the workplace anywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment