Thursday, November 19, 2015

Class Discussion

Today's class was very enjoyable and filled me with knowledge that I never even thought of. As the women were speaking I was kept intone because it was extremely interesting seeing the point of view of multiple "victims". When listening I felt many different emotions. Feelings of sadness, confusion, and shock kept running rapidly in my mind. When the first speaker Mrs. Baker went up I noticed how  "excited" she was to tel her experience. I don't know if I'm miss judging her expressions maybe she was enthusiastic about the topic, but she said what she said with great pride, which she should because she took what she felt was wrong and constructively made it to push her to work harder. Mrs.Baker said she wasn't being allowed to show her full potential because she was a female. Her superiors (bosses) were limiting her due to gender. She didn't get offended but she used the frustration to better herself and move on to become a Dean of a college. I have great respect for Mrs.Baker for being so mature about the situation. If I was in her shoes I probably would've flipped out because I hate being treated unfairly. Mrs.Baker, through experiencing, is an extremely happy person, ofcourse when she gets discriminated against because of gender, she may get angry, but now I feel all she needs to do is smile and laugh because she beat the oppressors.

To conclude I want to ask, why didn't any of the speakers "speak up" when they were getting discriminated against? If they feel so strongly about the situation, why didn't they say anything when it was happening to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment