Thursday, November 19, 2015

Male Privilege In Society

When Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Tuorto, and Ms. Sweeney expressed their experiences of gender discrimination, I felt embarrassed. The fact that the male gender could be so cruel and heartless, made me really think about how ignorant I myself was towards women. The woman that I respected the most was Ms. Sweeney at the end of the whole presentation. First off, she was able to tell us how she was a United States Diplomat. When I heard this, my first thought was, "that must be a cool job trying to encourage democracy in other countries ". However, she explained how her experience went and my initial instinct went  from "it being a cool job", to it being a complete chaotic world for women. Ms. Sweeney was promoted, and her first interaction with her boss was him questioning the fact that he was given a woman as his "inferior". When I heard this it sort of surprised me because I always believed that people in the government should be setting the example. Furthermore, Ms. Sweeney demonstrated to me that no matter what the situation, there are limits to the things that I person says, and can do. 
Also hearing about Mrs. Baker having to leave, I felt dumbfounded. I just couldn't understand how a PERSON could be exploited for their minds. She was given the opportunity to speak her mind, but her ideas were taken and then GIVEN under the leadership of a man. After today, I have realized that I should give more respect to any woman who has been able to persevere and achieve a higher postion in their respected jobs. Especially, Mrs. Tuorto because she was able to climb an uphill battle with the worst weather conditions ever afflicted upon someone. She was able to achieve her goal of becoming the Dean of Faculty. Even though they expect her to bring donuts or make coffee for the teacher's meeting, she is not intimidated by the men whatsoever. All of these have taught me to be persevere, fight for what you believe in, and that hard work only leads to great opportunities in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment