Monday, November 30, 2015

Sexuality - Daqwan Moore

In this discussion to be honest I wasn't really comfortable being surrounded by some of the guests that were there. I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful in any way but that's just the truth. I was never a person that was okay with being surrounded by people that are gay or act gay. In my opinion there wasn't much to take from this discussion in my eyes, nobody really talked about anything eye popping. Most thigs said and explained by the guests were common things that happen with gay people. Although, all the guests' family was supportive throughout their change in gender was pretty interesting because there are families out there who don't and won't accept their gay family members decision in being gay or might even start to reject them as family and treat them differently. Mr. Lowther seemed to be a little confused on the topic and that's fine because it just shows how hard it can be figuring out what you are yourself (gay, straight, bi etc). Cass raised a very good question towards the end that nobody could really answer, I don't remember what the question exactly was but I do remember my answer for it, and I also believe it was the right answer cass was looking for. I was thinking the non purposeful ignorance of straight people towards gay people is simply that we aren't conditioned to two people of the same sex is correct. We are told that a woman and a man go together. Mr. Lowther made it clear that he had no problem with gay people, he was fine with them because it wasn't him. Now, I have no personal problem with gay people either, don't dislike them because they're gay or anything, and I'm not sure why but it did make me put myself in a gay persons shoes. I thought to myself what if I was gay? How would I feel if I were neglected and humiliated by my society? How could I make a difference to this.. Me? Rather than just being okay with gay people myself I should stand up for gay people who feel like they have no place to speak or are too embarrassed of who they are to speak up for themselves, no longer allow my own friends or my own self to make fun of a gay person because they're regular people and have feelings and are no less important than we are. 

2 comments:

  1. Daqwan,

    This is actually one of the most thoughtful reflections on here and exactly the type of reflection that I hope guys will engage in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daqwan,

    This is actually one of the most thoughtful reflections on here and exactly the type of reflection that I hope guys will engage in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete