Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Male privilege/ class discussion

Today in class we had the opportunity to sit and listen too different females who were able to tell us the problems they have to live with that some males might not have to face everyday. Well the reason for having brought our old good female friends in to talk to us about problems they have was because us as males wouldn't be able to have a conversation about their problems because we are the privileged group here and we don't really notice the problems. That's the reason for Cass him self not teaching us about feminism. Day to day we just go throughout our day not really worrying about our gender just passing by our daily life. When we walk down the street were more worried about being stopped by the cops then being feared of men walking towards or behind us having the fear of being raped or sexually harassed. On the other hand females are always pressured to dress and look in a certain way because people tend to judge a women by there presence.
So I'll begin with Ms.Sweeney the first female to talk. She was able to tell us the problems SHE had as a female and not saying that all females had the same problems because that would be considered a stereotype. Well she was able to tell us how she had a job that had to deal with the government. When I heard this my first thought was "wow that's crazy must be a great job" but then she explained and my feeling from "being a great job went straight wow we really do live a corrupt/cruel time. Ms.Sweeney was able to move up to a high position and when she had to stay in another area for work as soon as she landed she was greeted with "oh I thought they were going to send a male to work here." When I heard this it kinda hurt me because the way I was raised was to never look as a anyone to have lesser power than me that we are all equal and should have the chance to do any thing we want to me no matter what race,gender,sexual orientation, ect. Also hearing about Ms.Baker having to leave because things that weren't working out at SBP I was kinda confused and felt dumb because I'm part of the privileged group that I wasn't even able to realize that there are mostly males in our teaching staff. After today I have realized that I should give more respect to Ms.Tourto because she was able to fight through this and now is actually the dean of faculty. Even though they expect her to bring donuts or make coffee for the teachers meeting she has a lot more meaning than many of the other male privileged teachers who don't realize it's not her job to do all those wanted things by male teachers.
Females and Males to me are and will always be equal. Females play a huge role in our life and to be honest if they didn't exist most of us wouldn't exist so we should come together and realize we are all one and we need have each others back because that's the only we can survive in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment