Sunday, November 1, 2015

The color of fear

The Color of Fear changed my perspective on how I viewed racism and discrimination in our world. I always had my own description of racism in our world. I only saw it through my eyes and put it the way I saw racism. 
This film made me realize that I do not really understand racism. I do not see racism in the eyes of who it’s affecting. This film also showed me how ignorant our society is towards racism in our world today. I can relate majorly to Victor Lewis in the film because he constantly talks about how David can not understand what racism is like in his eyes because he doesn’t experience it the way Victor does. I can relate to this because I feel like many times people can’t understand my point of view in situations. They can only understand their point of view of how they see the situation. Victor stressed the fact that a white man can not understand what racism truly is and what is truly feels like. A major problem this film brings out is the fact that here in America you must throw your ethnicity away to be apart of the culture. Germans aren’t German they are white. People from Ireland aren’t Irish, they are white. Which relates to the reading “The Arab Woman and I” because it shows how people just know this woman as a woman in her veil and if they would see her without it, she would not be recognized as an Arab woman. Which also relates to what Cassidy was talking about, America being a melting pot. Bringing in and accepting all these ethnicities but forming them into the one ethnicity that is allowed in America. Rather than a salad bowl, where America can remain accepting to foreigners but allow them to remain their ethnicity and not try to transform them into the way they want them to be.
What does being American mean? Being American is allowing the dominant group of people to throw away your ethnicity to form you the way they want you to be. The emotions shown are the true feelings people experience on a daily basis because of racism in our world. And this film truly portrays the emotion and is a voice for all people who experience racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment