Monday, November 30, 2015

Sexuality Discussion

Throughout the class about gays in society i felt extremely uncomfortable. I personally accept the classification of me being a homophobic. Whenever i hear or am around a person who likes their same gender i feel very uncomfortable. I am straight and was raised straight by a straight family so i may have been conditioned to be like this. I don't have a problem with gays but when they are affiliating themselves with me or speaking to me i feel awkward like im being cluttered. Even though they may not be attracted to me in that way i still get that feeling like im being "checked out" much like how a lady would feel walking through the cafeteria at our school. On the other hand the discussion was decent. I went against my ways and tried my hardest to understand what they have been through or what they have to deal with on a daily. The man who classified himself as "Queer" seemed very passionate about how he is. It seemed as if he accepted it at a young age and has a non profit group to help people like him accept it. The reason i bring him up is because i can respect what he is doing. Even though im straight, from stories ive heard i can tell it may be a hard time to accept your sexuality at a young age and hes helping youth to do that. Another person i would like to speak about is the young looking white male who said he was gay. I dont have much to say but ive came to a realization that being gay isn't as drastic as it use to be. He is the vice president of a company. Seeing the way he was on a time crunch and how he wore a suit with a nice watch is telling me that he is in an important position and he makes a good amount of money. Noticing this made me understand that because you are gay you are not limited to certain things. May this be because he is white? Im not sure, but seeing a vice president of a company being openly gay is a eye opener in my book. To conclude like i said im not a big fan of discussions like these since i feel uncomfortable about gay people, but i gained a lot of knowledge by paying attention to the speakers.

1 comment: