Thursday, November 19, 2015

Privilege

Today's talk about male privilege shocked me, I never seen it from a woman's point of view. Our world is based on productive and reproductive functions and that's what discriminates and lowers the woman values. Due to this system it creates privilege. Productive is based on works like business, construction, etc. These are mostly all male jobs. The Reproductive is seen as caring for life, staying home, cleaning, cooking, caring for the family. This is seen as a woman's lifestyle. Based on the discussion the woman who worked or currently works for S.B.P shows that society is living off these stereotypes.

Three woman stood up and had the courage to talk about how they are being discriminated everyday either if it's in the workplace or outside in the streets. The stories they told us left me with regret as a male. Each of these woman grew up thinking the world was equal until they stepped outside into the real world. Even though each one graduated out of college with bachelor and master degrees, they all are still seen as the minority's. But what shocked me the most was to hear that this privilege is carried within my second home... S.B.P

St.Benedicts Prep has led many of the woman to leave the school because the disrespect they dealt with coming from the men. At the teachers conferences, they would assume that the woman are supposed to take care of the notes being written or to bring in food to serve everyone like that's their job to do so. Also they left due to being called assistants because of their sex. After the woman showing me the privilege I have, I will have to change myself and try to convince others too because someone's privilege is never noticed until someone addresses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment