Thursday, November 19, 2015

Male Privilege By the Deckshow

I am going to be completely honest and say that I knew of this happening, but I did not know that it was this bad. The stories that everyone had to tell were really eye opening and I felt ashamed for my gender and race on this earth for doing this to women. Ms. Baker was one of my group moderators last year and she was always very nice and could talk to you about anything from grades to personal problems. I did not even know her that well so this amazed me as not very many people like that are around today. When I heard her tell her story about how she left Benedict’s, I was shocked that male privilege could even happen here, in such a friendly working environment for everyone. I thought that in a place like this it would be a little more even as to pay, job opportunities, social status and other areas men and women would be made more equal, but it turned out that I was wrong and that it is not the case at all.
Then I heard Ms. Sweeney's story. This story was incredibly shocking to me and it was so disgusting that I almost had a hard time listening to it. The other government official in Bolivia really had the nerve to say that to her. Then, on top of that spread all that around about her sleeping with people to get stuff done. It got to the point where they even turned a female boss against her through threats on her career. I thought it would have stopped before that, but it did not and I was really really shocked when I heard it. What also really bothered me, was that even when she had a high up position she was still being referred to as Fr. Ed’s secretary as though to say that’s all the women that work here do at all while they work here.
Now, I do not know Ms. Tuorto very well, but what from what I do know of her and what I have seen, she seems like a very nice person. Also, I thought it was awesome that she loved to play ice hockey before her injury as I play ice hockey and also a huge New Jersey Devils fan. The story she told me about the guy flirting with her even in these walls, was disgusting, that the guy really expected to get that from her and that Duffy had to step in to make him stop. Also, the story that happened at the talk was really disturbing as well. People were thinking that she was just a secretary to some professor who could not make it. I do not know her very well but I know that she is a very good scientist and that she is apparently the best with physics in the entire school. Yes, I know we are all guilty of stuff like this, and I am not excluding myself. I am just as guilty as everyone else with this. Sometimes I do this without even realizing it. But, yet I continue to fight for those in need. I will always fight on anyone's side that is being persecuted. Especially those who have autism as I have a strong connection with it, my sister has it and I would do anything for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment