Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Transgenders In Society

In our discussion last Friday, I learned a lot of topics that no one has ever mentioned to me. I got to meet a trans woman and got to ask her questions. At first, I was very skeptical about meeting Brianna. However, she was surprisingly very open about he decision to change. She talked about her life prior and post her transitioning process. She knew at a very young age that being a boy did not feel right. There have been debates about if the person knows they want a gender change when they are born or if it's how they are raised. After what she said, I believe it is determined when a person is finally becoming an adult. We also talked a lot about language with transgenders. I learned that saying 'Tranny' is offensive to transgenders. It is like calling a Caucasian person a 'Cracker' or a Hispanic person a 'Spic'. Other terms we learned were Trans, Transgender, Transexual. Transvestite, and Drag Queens. Drag Queens and Transvestites are like the same thing but Drag Queens often dress like the other gender for entertainment. Transgenders challenge the gender normalities, but they actually do not change their gender. But a Transsexual is a person who physically changes their gender. Finally, I enjoyed actually having a discussion with a trans person because I also learned to respect the sacrifices they have made in order to do something that they want. I have met a trans people before but never talked to them with a personal subject like this. This was a great experience and I actually explained to my aunts about the differences this weekend. This discussion has already had a major impact on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment