Thursday, December 17, 2015

Transgender Issues

The most I learned from our class discussion was the different terms related to Trans. I didn't know that trans could be used to describe people that don't necessarily fit gender rolls. For example a man that likes to cook and where pink could be considered trans. I always thought trans reffered to a male or female that wanted to be the opposite sex. But that's not always the case. Transvestites are similar to drag queens in that they both dress as the opposite sex. So someone like Dennis Rodman would fit into this category. However I learned the biggest distinction is between transgender and transexual. A transexual is someone who actually lives their life as the opposite sex. They are people like Brianna who not only try to look like women but also take hormones to physically change their features. The most interesting thing I learned was about the term tranny. I always thought tranny was the name to associate these people with but in reality it's a derogatory term. It's like calling gay people faggots or black people niggers. Now that I know this I'm going to try to stop using that term when reffering to trans people.

No comments:

Post a Comment