Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Color Of Fear

     The movie “Color of Fear” was great. I credit the person who came up with the idea to have people of different races in the same room. The reason why this is such an ingenious idea is because now that you have Blacks, Asians, Latinos, and Whites all in the same room, they can discuss their perspective on racism and how it affects their life. The main argument or the one I feel stood out the most was the one between the “angry black man” and the white man who was clueless about racism. The black man was infuriated. Not in a lethal way but in a “tired” way. In other words he was upset because the white man was not understanding him, and was acting like black people didn't have the position they wanted in life because they didn't work hard enough. Just by him inferring that more than likely set the black man off as it would I if I was in that situation. This is why I relate myself to the “angry black man”. 
     I would categorize myself along with the angry black man because I am very much like him when it comes to topics like this. I tend to get infuriated when somebody doesn't understand me and even more angry when somebody tries to explain something they don't understand. In other words I would have reacted the same as the black man. If you don't understand where I'm coming from when I'm explaining something, please don't make it seem like you do. The white man acted as if he knew what black people went through on a daily basis but in reality he was oblivious to the whole thing. If you don't understand then I will try to explain it even more. The white man acted like he understood but interpret it for something it wasn't (not working hard). I don't think the black man was at fault for reacting in a loud tone it's very frustrating trying to explain something to someone that hasn't experienced what you are explaining.
     To conclude, the white man did end up letting down his guard and actually listen to the people of different races and I truly believe he understood where they were coming from. At the end of the day that's the main goal, you can't end racism at one time, but if you open up one persons mind that will continue on to other people in his family and so on and so forth. Then racism will reduce in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment