Friday, December 18, 2015

Transgender - Daqwan Moore

Throughout all of the discussions we have had in class with all different types of identities this one was the less informative but yet the most interesting to me. It made me think and question whether I really even knew what a transgender person was, even after Brianna had told us what makes a person transgender. For example, she said a transgender person can just wear pink and not change any of their body parts and identify as a transgender person. So while I was sitting there I thought it through and began to come to the conclusion that a transgender could just identify as gay, and ended up questioning myself to why they had to be transgender because it's nothing different, unless you change your physical vitals, but Brianna said not every transgender changes that. Then, she went on to say that to be transgender is something you don't choose, and you know if you're a transgender as soon as you figure out what a transgender is. There's this love commercial that comes on tv a lot and it shows all different types of people and it's about love and accepting everyone. In the commercial it said, "I couldn't change even if I wanted to." When Brianna told us it wasn't a choice... I disagreed right off the bat. I thought being transgender was a person coming into the world and wanting to totally change all their physical vitals and to the opposite sex and wanting to wear clothes of the opposites sex etc. But I started to think harder and harder, so I said to myself, well I am not a transgender so I may not be able to feel it out or think it through unless I actually go through that type of experience because Brianna said she realized because the clothes she wore just didn't feel right and that she just wasn't happy etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment